Friday, September 19, 2014

And now I'm gonna tell it like it is...

So having read a bunch of travel blogs recently, I thought that maybe I should write a disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER: This is not going to be a normal travel blog. If you are expecting a play by play of my daily life in Germany, it’s not gonna happen (no one needs to know what I am doing every single day for almost a year). If you are expecting detailed descriptions of all of the food that I eat, it’s not gonna happen (no one needs to know the amount of beer I have been drinking and the number of bags of German candy I have demolished). And if you are expecting touristy photos of me posing in front of famous monuments, it’s also not gonna happen (and not just because I have yet to figure out how to post pictures).

Here’s what you should expect:

1. Descriptions of the funny, weird, awkward, and stupid stuff that will inevitably happen to me.

2. The occasional post about vegan/dairy-free food and restaurants, since gorging myself on the local butter-and-milk filled delicacies is sadly not going to be a thing.

3. Artsy fartsy photos because I’m into that sort of shit (very much amused myself by adding “fartsy” to my dictionary just now).

4. Long rambling parentheticals and possible footnotes.

And 5. An honest and frank description of what it is like to leave your job, friends, family, and life behind and start all over in a foreign country, and some insight into why I travel, why I am interested in education, and so on and so forth, blah, blah, blah.

Long story short, this isn't going to be some cheerful, optimistic travel itinerary. I’m going tell it like it really is, because apparently I’m on some kind of weird streak this year where I have upped my brutal honesty a notch to “has no secrets and tells no lies”.

So prepare yourselves. It’s gonna get real.

(P.S. Also as an afterthought, if anyone ever has any questions that they want me to answer or write about, feel free to comment here, Facebook message me, etc, etc.)

Now, having said all of that, here is the real deal. I have been in Germany for three weeks now, and yes, I have done some pretty cool stuff so far, but being here has by no means been easy. I am now slightly stranded here in Hamburg as I wait for my debit card to arrive to replace the one that was compromised (which I found out about an hour before I left the United States), my German is sub-par and when I attempt to speak it the Germans have a habit of just switching to English and not even trying to teach/humor me, I have destroyed two pairs of headphones in two weeks (don’t ask), I accidentally dyed all of my bras blue (again, don’t ask), I have no friends here, the school that I work at is slightly frustrating (it’s all teenage boys…youths…cue eye roll), I probably will not get paid for another month-month and a half, I am still not used to the German obsession with keeping their doors closed (I have been informed repeatedly that it is not because they are rude/angry, they just like having their doors closed all of the time…weird) and obeying traffic laws, and all of this is amplified by the fact that I am alone in a foreign country.

But you know what? I’m going to be okay. I know that this is just the tricky part, the adjusting part, the part that I have never been good at. I know that the next stage, when I start to settle in and make an actual life for myself and build a happy existence, that stage will be amazing. Not many people get the opportunity to experience something like this, and I can either resist it and it will happen anyway while I hide in the corner in denial, or I can embrace it and adapt to my current situation.

And let me tell you, as soon as my debit card gets here and I have money, I’m gonna go out and “embrace it” and “adapt” by taking myself out for dinner and more German beer.


Tschuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment